Heart Healthy Cooking & Paint the Mall Red
Aurora Chef Joe Ninnemann and Aurora Dietitian Dee Gabbard are here to share a heart healthy recipe and nutritional explanation in honor of heart health month. Aurora Health Care and Southridge Mall have partnered on a community wellness initiative – Choose Well – which is all about improving the health of our communities by encouraging people to make small lifestyle changes and participate in preventative health screenings. The Paint the Mall Red event at Southridge Mall is tomorrow from 11-4 and there will be lots of information on heart health, free blood pressure checks, activities and more. The event will showcase the softer side of the heart too – full of all things love, romance
and pure pampering.
Check out Aurora.org/ChooseWell for more information.
Portabella, Chicken and Lentil Soup
-1 small onion, diced
-½ cup diced celery
-½ cup diced carrot
-2 ounces of grilled portabella mushroom caps, stripped
-½ teaspoon chopped garlic
-½ teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
-1½ ounces cooked chicken meat, diced (season with kosher salt and black pepper)
-1⁄8 teaspoon ground coriander
-1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt
-1⁄8 teaspoon ground white pepper
-1⁄8 teaspoon rosemary leaves
½ teaspoon finely minced fresh basil leaves
Pinch dried parsley flakes
-3 cups vegetable broth
-1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
-1⁄4 cup of brown lentils
-½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
-Shaved Parmesan for garnish (optional)
-Fresh parsley sprig (optional)
1. Cook chicken seasoned with kosher salt and black pepper. Cool chicken, dice and set aside for later.
2. Season portabella mushroom caps with pinch of kosher salt and black pepper. Grill on charcoal grill. Allow caps to cool and then cut into ¼-inch thick strips. Set these aside for later.
3. Heat olive oil in stock pot. Once hot, add garlic, onions, celery and carrots. Cook until onions become translucent, approx. 6-7 minutes.
4. Add spices, rosemary, basil and parsley to pot. Add ½ cup of low-sodium chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Add 1⁄4 cup of brown lentils. Cook for about 3 minutes stirring regularly. Turn heat down to low and simmer until tender.
5. When lentils are nearly tender, add chicken and mushrooms to pot. Stir until it is thoroughly mixed in. Add low sodium vegetable broth and low-sodium chicken broth to pot. Bring to a boil. Turn heat to low, and simmer for 15 more minutes.
6. Serve immediately. Optional garnish with shaved Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley sprig.