Taking action against unfair employers

Taking action against unfair employers

By Karen Stiles. CREATED Jul 16, 2013

MILWAUKEE - Have you been shorted pay, harassed, or discriminated against by an employer? Well, there may be something that you can do about it.

In the past few weeks we have received a number of complaints from people who believe that they have been shorted pay, turned down for jobs or promotions due to a disability, or been mistreated at their workplace. And, although there are some things that you can do to take action, you need to be sure that you have solid proof of wrongdoing, and that you fully understand how wage and employment laws relate to your situation.

If you feel that you have been treated unfairly by an employer, where can you get help?

You can file a complaint with a number of state and federal agencies such as the Equal Rights Division of Wisconsin’s Department of Workforce Development, the Wage and Hour Division of the U.S. Department of Labor, and the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. You may also want to consult with an attorney who specializes in employment-related issues.

What can you do if you cannot afford an attorney or you cannot get one of these agencies to help you?

Depending upon the circumstances, you might be able to take the case to small claims court. But unfortunately, there are situations where there is no resolution. Wisconsin is an at-will employment state which means that no matter how unfair it may seem, an employer can terminate an employee for no reason. Sometimes, you just have to accept what happened and move on.

Department of Workforce Development - Equal Rights
U. S. Department of Labor – Wage and Hour Division 
U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission