Marquette students evacuated after gas leak on campus


Video by

Marquette students evacuated after gas leak on campus

By Amy Burke. CREATED Jan 15, 2014 - UPDATED: Jan 15, 2014

UPDATE: The gas has now been shut off and students and employees have re-entered the building, according to Cathy Schulze with We Energies.

Schulze said a one inch service line was was hit by construction company working on campus.


MILWAUKEE -- We Energies and the Milwaukee Fire Department responded to a gas leak in Johnston Hall on the Marquette University campus Wednesday morning.

The gas leak was likely caused when a construction company working on campus hit a gas line, officials say. Students were evacuated from Johnston Hall until the gas was turned off.

Several emergency vehicles responded to the scene, as the MU Wire reported on Twitter.

Check back to TODAY'S TMJ4 for updates.

Amy Burke

Amy Burke

Email Twitter
Amy Burke joined TODAY'S TMJ4 as an Interactive Web Editor in December 2013. She was born and raised in Naperville, Illinois and majored in journalism at Indiana University.