Weather Alerts 2 View »

Utah woman badly injured after drinking tea at barbecue restaurant


Video by

Utah woman badly injured after drinking tea at barbecue restaurant

By Joyce Lupiani. CREATED Aug 15, 2014

A Utah woman is in critical condition after taking a sip of sweet ice tea at a barbecue restaurant.

Jan Harding, 67, was eating at a Dickey's Barbecue Pit in South Jordan, Utah, with her husband Jim when the incident happened. Her husband says that as soon as she took a sip of her tea, he saw terror in her eyes.

Authorities say that the tea was accidentally mixed with a heavily toxic industrial cleaner, according to ABC News. The cleaner contained sodium hydroxide or lye, which is known to cause severe burns.

Jim Harding says that his wife mouthed "I love you" before she was rushed to a local hospital, where she is now in critical condition.

Despite the incident, the restaurant was not closed. Police say that they believe it was an accident and an employee mistook the cleaner for sugar. Local health department officials also said that the restaurant was safe for customers and a fresh batch of tea was made after the incident.

The incident happened at about 1 p.m. last Sunday. The woman got the tea from the self-service bar at the restaurant, according to the Salt Lake Tribute.

Joyce Lupiani

Joyce Lupiani

Email Twitter
Joyce Lupiani, who is based in Las Vegas at KTNV-TV Channel 13, is a contributor to