9-year-old girl feared for life after charger sparked bedroom fire


9-year-old girl feared for life after charger sparked bedroom fire

By Joyce Lupiani. CREATED Jul 31, 2014

An Atlanta girl is recovering after her iPod charger caught her bedroom on fire earlier this week.

According to WSBTV, the child's father said the fire started when his 9-year-old daughter plugged a charger for her iPod into the wall on Wednesday.

The charger sparked and burned two of her fingers. The young girl allegedly told her father that she thought she was going to die.

Twenty-nine firefighters and six fire trucks responded to the fire, which was contained to the child's bedroom. However, the rest of the house was damaged by smoke and is no longer livable.

The girl was taken to a local hospital for observation. She has since been released. The family just moved into the home last Sunday.

Although the official cause of the fire has yet to be determined, a recall for charging kits for Apple iPhone, iPad and iPod was issued earlier in the month. According to Lifeguard Press, six reports have been received of the wall chargers emitting smoke and sparking. Consumers were advised to stop using the recalled chargers immediately. Consumer Affairs says that more than 25,000 of the charging kits were recalled.

It is not known whether the Georgia girl was using one of the recalled chargers.

Joyce Lupiani

Joyce Lupiani

Email Twitter
Joyce Lupiani, who is based in Las Vegas at KTNV-TV Channel 13, is a contributor to NowTrending.com.