MT. JULIET, Tenn. – Officials said residents and businesses near the Providence shopping area in Mt. Juliet can resume normal activities after a natural gas main rupture was fixed on Wednesday afternoon.
The leak was repaired by crews from Piedmont Natural Gas around 1:20 p.m., according to Mt. Juliet Police.
Officials said a water utility contractor ruptured the four-inch line around 11:30 a.m. behind the Regal Providence Stadium 14 movie theater. Heavy fumes were spewing from the break in the pipe, and officials said the gas was moving downwind toward two apartment complexes.
Providence Parkway had been closed in both directions near the movie theater.
Police and the Wilson County Emergency Management Agency alerted residents and shopping center tenants to a “dangerous situation” and asked them to leave the area. People who were still in the area were advised to shelter in place and avoid going outside.
They also advised resident to shut off their air conditioning systems to prevent fumes from going indoors through the vents.
No one was hurt.