Keith Urban releases statement about alleged rape at recent concert
Keith Urban performs on NBC's "Today" show on Tuesday, Sept. 10, 2013 in New York. (Photo by Greg Allen/Invision/AP) Image by AP
By Kellie Michaels. CREATED Aug 4, 2014
Keith Urban has released a statement regarding events at his July 26 Boston-area concert, where an 18-year-old Boston man was arrested and charged with raping a 17-year-old woman on the lawn of Xfinity Center.
"My team and I were horrified to learn of the events reported in Boston this past weekend and our hearts and prayers go out to all those affected," the country star and "American Idol" judge said in a statement posted on his website last week. "This type of behavior stands in stark contrast to the spirit of our shows."
Sean Murphy, who was arrested at the show, pleaded not guilty Thursday to raping the teen at the outdoor venue. He told police that the encounter, which was photographed and videotaped by several onlookers, was consensual.
Police said the two teens hadn't met before the concert and had both been drinking. A woman ultimately pulled Murphy off the girl after the 17-year-old told her she was not consenting to what was going on.