Teen sustains second degree burns from iPhone 5C
An employee shows off a new Apple iPhone 5C at a Verizon store in Orem, Utah Image by REUTERS
An unidentified 14-year-old middle schooler in Maine caught on fire after her bright green, two-month-old iPhone 5C exploded in her pant pocket.
Jeff Rodman, principal of the Middle School of Kennebunks, said that the teen and her friends heard a "pop" and “immediately smoke starts billowing from around the student," reports the Portland Press Herald. "She knew right away something was wrong and, in a panic, knew her pants were on fire caused by the cellphone.”
She quickly dropped to "stop, drop, and roll" as the blazing phone fell from inside her pocket. Girls in the class covered her as she was pantsless, and male classmates were removed from the classroom. The school was set at a "hold in place" until medical workers and firefighters cleared the scene.
Southern Main Health Care tended to the second-degree burns on her thigh and back. She was released within an hour.
This is the first time an iPhone 5C is reported as starting a fire, although lithium-ion batteries in other iPhone models have occasionally overheated and caused freak fires in the past.