Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- Another Chinatown restaurant is shut down in this week's Dirty Dining. Why? Two words: Cockroach infestation.
Those two words plus 45 demerits got Hunan Jiu Jia on Schiff Drive in Chinatown shut down by the Southern Nevada Health District.
There were so many roaches at the July 11 inspection that it was called an imminent health hazard creating gross, unsanitary conditions.
"They took pictures of cockroaches everywhere. In the kitchen, in the food, on the floor, on the walls," said Chief Investigator Darcy Spears.
"No. Nothing. Today I'm very clean. This A is gave to me. I'm open two days already. Everything is good," said the boss Lisa Shen.
Hunan Jiu Jia does have its A back now. But it was shut down for a week after inspectors found multigenerational roaches in the food including ready-to-eat peanuts and bamboo.
They were crawling on the food contact surfaces, even on knives and other utensils.
"We wanted to know how come so many roaches found their way into the kitchen?" asked Darcy.
"I don't know," Shen responded.
Health inspectors said the place was attracting pests. Gaps near the main door provided a way in, cracks in the walls provided shelter and greasy floors provided food for the roaches.
But roaches aren't all inspectors found. One employee was caught washing his hands over food that was being prepped.
There was also meat at an unsafe temperature, unlabeled food, uncovered food and food stored on the floor. The microwave was dirty and cutting boards were deeply grooved and darkly stained.
Shen shows us how things are different now, "Everything is new."
Other imminent health hazard closures include Marie Callender's on East Sahara and McDonald's at Sahara and Arville. Both were caught operating with no hot water.
Pachuca Hidalgo Catering was shut down for lack of adequate refrigeration.
Lee's Buffet on East Flamingo may soon be out of business. Its health permit was suspended pending revocation.
When inspectors arrived to verify a complaint, they found the previously revoked operators both there. According to the report, one tried to flee out the back door at the sight of health inspectors. The other was in the kitchen handling food.
Hunan Jiu Jia has hired a food safety consultant and fired their pest control company.
All the other restaurants except Lee's Buffet have reopened with A grades.