Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- A valley Mexican restaurant is at the center of this week's Dirty Dining report. It was shut down after health inspectors uncovered a number of violations, including a major health hazard.
No hot water. That's what officials with the Southern Nevada Health District said was missing when they paid a visit to Casa Mexico on East Desert Inn and McLeod.
The imminent health hazard means employees were unable to properly wash their hands at the restaurant. In all, Casa Mexico was forced to close its doors with 60 demerits. Anything more than 40 demerits is an automatic closure.
According to the inspection report, cheese, tomatoes and cut cabbage were all found at the wrong temperature. A bag of raw meat was thawing at room temperature.
There were also problems with some equipment. A refrigerator leak was dripping into some beans. The ice machine had what was described as "excessive mold-like growth." Dry food debris was found on the meat slicer and some utensils.
The report also says the person-in-charge didn't know basic food safety rules.
On the day Contact 13 paid a visit to Casa Mexico, the restaurant was still closed. We left multiple messages, asking for more information, but never heard back from anyone.
Other closures include the Curbside Cafe and Quality Food Service Number 5 food trucks. Both were closed for inadequate refrigeration.
Chapala's Mexican Restaurant on East Tropicana near Pecos was also closed due to a lack of adequate refrigeration.
The Renaissance Hotel & Envy Bar was shut down for not having any hot water.
Curbside Cafe, Chapala's Mexican Restaurant and the Envy Bar are all reopened with A grades.