Woman shot in carjacking turned double home invasion dies of injuries


Video by ktnv.com

Woman shot in carjacking turned double home invasion dies of injuries

By Jacqui Heinrich. CREATED Aug 22, 2014

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- A woman shot after a carjacking and double home invasion in the Valley's southeast side last month has died from her injuries.

Metro Police say Cody Winters and Natasha Jackson were trying to steal a second car when they went on a deadly crime spree, breaking in to three homes and terrorizing the people inside.

One of their alleged victims was Terri Ham, 54. She clung to life for nearly a month after police say Cody Winters shot her in the stomach. The bullet struck some major organs, and although things were looking up for a while, doctors couldn't save her life.

"I have no idea what I'm going to do without her. It's just killing me and it hasn't even been 24-hours," sobbed Ham's boyfriend of 20 years, wishing only to be identified as 'John' out of fear of retribution.

Ham is the third person to die after the carjacking turned double home invasion terrorized the neighborhood near Autumn Drive on July 29. Ham was at home with John when police say Cody Winters came through their window, demanding the keys to their car.

Police say Winters and his accomplice, Jackson, had already carjacked a Nevada Department of Transportation worker, broken into two homes, stabbed one woman and killed a man in front of his kids before Winters made it to the couple's house.

Ham turned the car keys over, but Winters allegedly shot her anyway before dragging her bloody body outside as a hostage, where he was shot and killed by police.

"Now this is the house of horror," John said. "I can never live here again. This afternoon when I walked in, I was going to say 'Hi honey,' and there's no 'honey' to say hi to anymore."

Terri fought for her life for 23 days. John says he spent his final 9 hours with her Thursday; the whites of her eyes were yellow, and she was only able to communicate by nodding her head and moving her fingers. "I gave her the biggest hug I ever could and told her that I know you'll be my angel," John told Action News.

Now, with his best friend and love of his life gone forever, John says he can only pray for justice, that the surviving suspect, Natasha Jackson, will rot in jail. "I hope she never sees the light of day," he said.

Terri Ham was both a mother and a grandmother. The family does have an account set up to help with medical and funeral expenses. If you'd like to donate, head to any Wells Fargo bank and ask for the John & Terri Contribution Account #50330500. If you'd rather contribute via paypal, email lasvegassportsxrradio1@yahoo.com.

In the meantime, Natasha Jackson faces 8 felonies, and prosecutors say her charges will be amended to reflect Terri's death.

Jacqui Heinrich

Jacqui Heinrich

Email Facebook Twitter
Jacqui Heinrich is currently an Emmy Award-winning anchor and reporter for Action News.