Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- A teenager trying to cook pancakes accidentally set his house on fire. Now, as his family walks through the rubble the day after, they're feeling helpless.
"Everything is destroyed," said Maria Delgado.
Her son, Moses, was alone at their home on the 2300 block of South Sixth Street on Thursday, making pancakes when he said he left the kitchen for a few minutes. All of a sudden, he heard something. He went back into the kitchen.
"I saw all the flames come out," he said. Moses tried to throw water on the pan to put out the flames. That didn't work so he took the pan off the stove and ran to the backyard patio. But the flames started burning the handle which got too hot, and he dropped it.
The flaming liquid spread to boxes outside and then the drapes. Pretty soon, the house was on fire.
Moses said he ran back in to get his phone and called his mother. She told him to grab the dog, get out and call 911.
But looking at what's left of the property 24 hours after the fire, the family doesn't know what they're going to do.
"We don't have nothing. No clothes, no money. No nothing right now," said Maria, who just started a new job. She's worried because Moses starts school in just over a week, but the family is far from settled.
Maria said her whole family is living in Venezuela, so they have no one to stay with. She's relying on the American Red Cross for now, but knows that aid will run out. For now, they have to stay at motels and they plan to just take things day-by-day.
According to Las Vegas Fire & Rescue, damage is estimated at $75,000.
For Moses, the hardest part of this whole thing is dealing with the guilt he feels for what has happened, "It's all my fault."
An account has been set up at Bank of America to help the family. If you're interested in donating, ask for the Maria C. Delgado Account. The account number is: 501017869335.