Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- One man was taken to the hospital after a fire in a vacant building early Friday morning.
The fire was reported at 1:04 a.m. at the vacant building that use to house the Fremont Assisted Living Center on South 4th Street.
Upon arrival, firefighters discovered black smoke pouring out of a third-floor window. There was also a man hanging out of the window by his hands.
Firefighters began the process of getting a ladder to the man but he let go before the ladder reached him. He was taken to the hospital with minor burns and a possible fracture.
The fire started in a mattress and bedding material in one of the rooms. Firefighters were able to extinguish it within a few minutes.
Three other people had to be escorted out of the building. None of them appeared to be injured.
The man who was taken to the hospital told fire investigators that he was using candles in the room and also had a can of sterno in the room.
This is the third fire in the building since September. Each time there has been a fire, the building has been re-boarded but people keep finding their way in.
It was also discovered during this incident, that someone was stealing power from a nearby pole. NV Energy was dispatched to investigate.