Las Vegas police release video of officer-involved shooting

  • Play
  • Play
  • Play

Video by

Las Vegas police release video of officer-involved shooting

By Krista Hostetler. CREATED Oct 31, 2013

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department spoke about a recent officer-involved shooting, when an officer with the department shot a man he mistook for a murder suspect.

The shooting happened on Oct. 21 around 10:30 p.m. at 7-Eleven at the corner of Nellis and Stewart.

Undersheriff Jim Dixon met with the media on Thursday to discuss additional details on the case.

WATCH: YouTube Video: Officer-involved shooting on surveillance video

During the encounter, Patrol Officer Jason Evans attempted to contact an individual who he felt matched the description of a suspect who had committed a violent double homicide the night before.

As one of the patrol officers assigned to the original homicide call, Officer Evans was aware of the suspect description which had been obtained during the initial stages of the investigation.

Officer Evans observed the individual, later identified as 30-year-old Antoine Hodges of Las Vegas, enter the 7-Eleven on Nellis. As the officer approached the front of the store, Hodges began to exit the business.

The officer ordered Hodges to continue to exit the store and to show him his hands. Instead of following the officer's instructions, Hodges retreated backwards into the store and began moving away from the officer. Officer Evans quickly followed the suspect while continuing to order him to stop and show him his hands.

As he was backing away, Hodges was holding his left hand up towards the officer, clutching his car keys and cell phone, while moving his right hand to a position behind his back near his rear pants pocket, concealing it from the officer's view.

As Hodges continued his retreat from the officer, he backed into an ice cream freezer, causing him to abruptly turn towards Evans, who fired one shot from his handgun. Hodges was struck in the abdomen, and transported to UMC Trauma where he was treated and released.

The investigation revealed Hodges did not have a weapon in his pocket. In addition, Hodges is not the suspect in the double homicide.

Officer Evans has been placed on paid administrative leave.