Health District: Salmonella caused Moapa Valley mass sickness


Video by

Health District: Salmonella caused Moapa Valley mass sickness

By Jacqui Heinrich. CREATED Oct 28, 2013

Moapa Valley, NV (KTNV) -- Health experts now blame salmonella for making 150 people sick after they ate a potluck dinner at a church in Logandale last week, and they said the risk for infection isn't over.

"Pain, diarrhea, vomiting, then the fever hit and chills, shaking and aching all over," Kory Bodily told Action News of his condition after eating the meal.

Bodily wasn't the only one suffering in Moapa Valley. Southern Nevada Health District officials said about 150 people got sick, and about 250 were exposed.

SNHD workers still aren't sure which food was contaminated at the potluck dinner held by the Church of the Latter Day Saints on Oct. 19, but they said whatever it was sent 85 people to the hospital; the youngest of them just 7-months-old and the eldest 88.

"We have heard of people having to seek repeat care at emergency rooms because of severe dehydration," said Tami Bruno, Disease Investigator for the Southern Nevada Health District.

Even though health officials ruled out restaurants as the cause, they said the poisoned food came from someone's home kitchen.
They say people are still at risk because the bacteria can live in the body for up to a year and can be transmitted through poor hygiene.
"What happens is the bacteria itself is shed when we go to the bathroom, in our stools," Bruno said.
SNHD officials said hand washing is the best way to prevent the spread of salmonella.
For more information on salmonella symptoms and treatment, click here.
Jacqui Heinrich

Jacqui Heinrich

Email Facebook Twitter
Jacqui Heinrich is currently an Emmy Award-winning anchor and reporter for Action News.