Weather Alerts 7 View »

Fire damages northwest Las Vegas home

Fire damages northwest Las Vegas home

By Dyuce Woodson. CREATED Jul 24, 2014

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- A family of three is receiving assistance from the American Red Cross after their home caught fire. 

The incident happened early Wednesday afternoon and luckily no one was home at the time of the fire. 

Firefighters did rescue a cat and dog, and there were no reported injuries during the incident. 

A neighbor who came home for lunch that day discovered the fire when he was outside and smelled burning wood. He went to find the source and found smoke coming from outside of a Cheyenne/El Capitan house. 

An estimated $60,000 in damage occurred, however, none of the contents of the home were destroyed.

Fire investigators determined the fire started inside the wall of the kitchen, which is also the outside wall of the house. They found the source around some wiring in the wall. The occupants told investigators they were not having any problems with the electricity.

Investigators feel the high heat may have also contributed to the conditions that started the fire. The wall faces the sun and the high heat might have help start the fire.

The fire was ruled accidental.