Weather Alerts 2 View »

Fire caused by candle damages northwest Las Vegas home

Fire caused by candle damages northwest Las Vegas home

By Krista Hostetler. CREATED Aug 25, 2013

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- Las Vegas firefighters responded to a house fire overnight on a report of a fire on the second floor of a home.

It happened just after 1 a.m. on West Dorrell Lane, near Elkhorn and Fort Apache.

When crews arrived, they were met by one of the occupants who told firefighters that a sofa was burning on a loft on the second floor. They believed candles started the fire.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire in less than a minute. It took them several minutes to evacuate the smoke upstairs.

Once the smoke cleared, they found a pet cat that was deceased.

One of the occupants of the home was treated for smoke inhalation and refused to be taken to the hospital.

Damage to the home was estimated at $20,000.

Fire investigators confirmed the fire was started by a candle that was too close to the sofa. The fire was ruled accidental.

Two adults and two teens were displaced, and they are being assisted by the American Red Cross.