Weather Alerts 3 View »

Quick-thinking teacher helps prevent theater fire from spreading

  • Play
  • Play

Video by

Quick-thinking teacher helps prevent theater fire from spreading

By Bryan Callahan. CREATED Feb 10, 2014

North Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- Las Vegas Fire & Rescue responded to a fire at Rancho High School in North Las Vegas Monday morning.

The fire was reported around 11:30 a.m.

The school was evacuated as a precaution, which included 3,000 students.

Firefighters said the theater director walked into the school's theater after a student smelled smoke, and noticed light smoke on the stage and a small flame. She then rushed back to her classroom and got all of the students out as she called 911 on her cell phone.

She then told school administrators, who evacuated the entire school to the football stadium.

Firefighters said it appears a stage light ignited the curtain, causing the damage that is estimated at about $100,000.

But they said most of the fire was out by the time they arrived on scene, because of the quick thinking of the teacher and other school staff.

"Several staff from the school went in there and used five to ten fire extinguishers. When we got here, it was more or less smoldering. What we had to do was tear it down from the high place, it was about 20 feet up, and bring it down to the floor to make sure it was completely out," said Tim Szymanski, Las Vegas Fire & Rescue.

None of the students at the school were in danger, and no one was injured.

They said the teacher caught the fire so early that it hadn't even set off the smoke detector.

The school is located on Searles Avenue in North Las Vegas.

Bryan Callahan

Bryan Callahan

Email Twitter
Bryan Callahan joined the Action News team as a general assignment reporter in August of 2013.