Dangerous drugs left out could be reason behind closure of medical group


Video by ktnv.com

Dangerous drugs left out could be reason behind closure of medical group

By Spencer Lubitz. CREATED Nov 19, 2013

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- The State Medical Board has stepped up its investigation into a southwest valley medical center, which suddenly shut its doors a few weeks ago.

Dangerous drugs left out in the open is what the board said it discovered after searching the offices at K | E Medical Group.

This comes after the group quickly closed, leaving patients angry, confused and tearful about being disconnected from their doctors.

"We're all going through medical issues and it's nice to have people you trust and he was one of those folks," said Kate Grothem, displaced patient.

With her family's health struggles on the forefront of her mind, Grothem said she was devastated when she learned the medical group would be closing down, in the midst of their treatment.

"It's hard to find a good doctor when you're new to a town, and you don't know who to go to find that doctor and he's fabulous," she said.

Now Grothem said she's desperate to get a hold of her doctor, but she doesn't know where to find him.

After receiving a complaint last week, the State Medical Board is investigating whether the leaders at K | E Medical Group abandoned their patients or disrupted their care, by closing so quickly.

While searching the offices at the medical group, the board said it found dangerous drugs out in the open instead of behind locked cabinets.

All day on Tuesday, patients were able to pick up their medical records.

The executive director of the State Medical Board said a judge will decide on Wednesday whether to sign off on a restraining order preventing K | E from destroying any medical records. He believes every record will be accounted for.

Volunteer staffers said they will be at the office every day from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. through the end of the week so patients can retrieve their medical records.

Action News contacted the managing officer of the medical group but didn't hear back.