Dirty Dining: Ahogadas Cancun restaurant shut down
Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- Caught red-handed. A restaurant doing something they weren't supposed to is shut down by health inspectors for an imminent health hazard.
When Contact 13 Chief Investigator Darcy Spears showed up for our Dirty Dining report, she got a less-than-warm welcome.
Picture this: A woman shoves a newspaper into our camera lens and pushes the camera man out the door, closing it firmly with Darcy Spears still inside.
"Can I get out? You want to tell me something? I don't appreciate you guys closing me in the restaurant," said Darcy.
That was after the new owners of Ahogadas Cancun tried to convince us we were at the wrong restaurant.
Darcy said, "We're doing a report on this restaurant because this is what the health inspection says. The Health Department. The Southern Nevada Health District. Would you like to read the health report? It's right here. March 13 is when they did the inspection. You can see the name of the restaurant. You can see the address and you can see all of the things that they wrote up."
"If you want to put on the TV, put on the the TV," said a woman at the restaurant.
"But you don't want to comment?" asked Darcy.
The woman responded, "Ay chihuahua!"
Ahogadas Cancun on Maryland Parkway and Tropicana was shut down with 49 demerits after an non-permitted food stand in front of the restaurant caught inspectors' attention.
And it went on from there.
Beans, raw chicken and rice were at unsafe temperatures.
Food didn't have date labels.
Oil and whipped cream that needed to be refrigerated were sitting out at room temperature.
Open, raw meat was stored on top of ready-to-eat food.
Employees didn't wash their hands during food prep, and there was no hot water, which is cause for immediate closure.
Also, the sanitizer bucket wasn't labeled, but that wouldn't have done any good because there was no sanitizer.
The walk-in fridge had been red-tagged, but was being used anyway, as a storage closet.
Inspectors also said the person in charge didn't know very much about food safety.
The new owners are working on getting their liquor license, but they are now allowed to serve food.
Since our visit, they were reinspected and reopened with a 9-demerit "A" grade.