Weather Alerts 2 View »

Pan on stove causes fire at Sonoma Shadows Apartments

Pan on stove causes fire at Sonoma Shadows Apartments

By Joyce Lupiani. CREATED Sep 28, 2012

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- A pan that was being heated on a stove is being blamed for a fire at an apartment complex on Karen Avenue, near Sahara Avenue and Maryland Parkway, at about 5:45 p.m. Thursday.

The fire has been ruled accidental by the Clark County Fire Department. Nearly two dozen people were displaced because of the fire.

It was the second fire at the Sonoma Shadows Apartments in less than four months. The first fire destroyed 22 apartments and left nearly 50 people homeless.

Fire officials say cooking is the leading cause of home fires in Clark County and throughout the country.

Unattended cooking is the leading cause and frying is the cooking method that poses the highest risk of fire.

The fire department offers the following advice:

-- Do not leave cooking food unattended.
-- Always supervise children in cooking areas.
-- Keep flammable materials - such as oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging and towels - away from the stove or barbecue to prevent fires;
-- Stay alert. If you are tired or consuming alcohol, don't cook.
-- Don't forget to turn off your oven, fryer, barbecue and stove-top burners.  Every year fires are started when people turn on these items and then forget to turn them off.
-- Every kitchen should have a working, multi-purpose fire extinguisher with an ABC rating. Check your fire extinguisher on a regular basis. Replace used, outdated or damaged extinguishers.

If you have a cooking fire:
-- On a stove-top fire, if it is safe to do so, turn off the burner, then using caution, place a lid on the pan or pot to smother or extinguish a small fire.
-- For an oven fire, turn off the oven. Keep the oven door closed to smother and extinguish the fire.
-- Do not use water to extinguish a grease or oil fire. Adding water to a pan of hot oil or grease will cause the burning grease to splash out of the pan and spread the fire. Turn off the stove, fryer or propane tank supply valve, and use a lid, baking soda or fire extinguisher on the flames.
-- Don't take risks with a fire. When in doubt, get out of the home and call 911. Close the door behind you to help contain the fire. Nationally, more than half of all reported home cooking fire injuries occurred when the victims tried to fight the fire themselves.


Joyce Lupiani

Joyce Lupiani

Email Twitter
Joyce Lupiani is the managing editor for and contributes to and