Police report details stepdad's alleged abuse of toddler found burned

Police report details stepdad's alleged abuse of toddler found burned

By Molly Waldron. CREATED May 4, 2012

 Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- An arrest report released on Friday details the abuse police say a 2-year-old boy suffered at the hands of his stepfather. 

20-year-old Demar Barnes was arrested on Wednesday after his wife's child was found suffering burns at the couple's apartment in the 4800 block of Spencer Street.

According to the police report, the child's mother, Dialasia Williamson, was visiting New York while her husband took care of the toddler.

She returned on May 2, and found her son badly burned. She called 911 and police responded, transporting 2-year-old Kevion to University Medical Center.

Barnes told police that last week he started a bath for Kevion and told him to get in without checking the temperature. Barnes then went to the kitchen while Kevion was in the bath, and said he heard a loud noise and screaming from the bathroom.

When he entered the bathroom, he found the shower curtain rod had fallen. He took Kevion out of the tub, then put him back in. About 15 minutes later, he took him out of the tub he said he noticed something "rolling off" Kevion's legs, and saw that his feet were red. He felt the water and said that's when he realized it was hot.

Dailasia told police her husband called her in New York to tell her about Kevion, but downplayed his injuries and she didn't realize it was serious.

For the next few days, Barnes said he attempted to treat the burns. 

On Sunday, a neighbor and friend of Dailasia's called her, concerned about Kevion. Dailasia then called Barnes and he again downplayed the severity of Kevion's injuries. On Tuesday, Barnes and Willamson spoke on the phone again, this time Williamson became concerned and bought a ticket home.

Upon her arrival home on Wednesday she called police. Kevion was hospitalized and Barnes was arrested.

Kevion remains in critical condition with second and third-degree burns on much of his body. He required surgery due to the severity of the burns and the paper stuck inside them, presumably from Barnes attempting to treat the burnes himself.

Police are continuing to investigate the case, and medical professionals are closely monitoring Kevion's condition.

Barnes had recently served jail time for domestic abuse. He now faces felony charges of child abuse with substantial bodily harm and child neglect.