Weather Alerts 6 View »

Apartment fire on Jones & Smoke Ranch blamed on careless smoking


Apartment fire on Jones & Smoke Ranch blamed on careless smoking

By Molly Waldron & Matt Mayhood. CREATED May 4, 2012

 Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- Fire officials from Las Vegas Fire and Rescue blame the fire on a small plastic container used as an ashtray that caught fire on a second story balcony.

Residents extinguished the container fire but were not aware of a fire that started inside the stucco walls of the building after heat transferred from the fire to the wood behind the wall. 

The residents watched the container fire to make sure the fire was completely out, however, the fire had already spread. 

New details on a massive fire that left dozens of people displaced were released on Friday.

A spokesperson for the Las Vegas Fire Department said the fire appeared to be accidental.

The blaze started in a utility chase on the second floor of an apartment building Thursday near Smoke Ranch and Jones, then spread to the attic and continued to grow from there.

Damage is estimated at $750,000.

The fire was first reported at about 6:30 p.m. Crews from Clark County, Las Vegas and North Las Vegas fire departments were involved. Occupants of the building were quickly evacuated and the blaze took several hours to fully control.

Fire officials warned that the fire department should be called on all fires because they have specialized equipment designed to detect heat within walls.

The property has been released to the property management firm and they will coordinate the retrieval of items.