50 UNO Students Displaced After Dorm Fire

50 UNO Students Displaced After Dorm Fire

By Lindsey Theis. CREATED Feb 26, 2014

Omaha, NE -About 50 UNO students are displaced tonight after their dorm building caught fire Wednesday afternoon.

"It was really scary actually because you could see all the firefighters and then the roof started caving in" Breanne Rubio, a freshman told KMTV.

"It was just pure chaos. People were running everywhere," Mitch Brown, a junior said.

Firefighters fought a fire at building G in Scott Village on the UNO South campus. Each floor of the dorm houses four, four bedroom apartments.
Firefighters were called to the building at 1601 S. 64th around 3:15.

"My wallet with all my IDs is in there. {My roommate and I} are computer science majors and our computers are gone," Jason Lynn said.

Lynn was inside on the 3rd floor at the time of the fire. He described hearing sirens and thinking it was a fire drill.

"Then I heard people outside yelling get out. I put on my coat and went outside. Really couldn't see anything because it was all smoke," he said.

Charley Reed with UNO says that all students have a place to stay. Some went home with friends or family that live in the Omaha area. Others are being put up in other UNO dorms or nearby hotels. Students will be excused from class, but classes are going on as scheduled.

When firefighters arrived, they observed heavy smoke and flames coming from the roof of the three story building. They called a second alarm to help battle the windy and cold conditions as flames flew through the roof.

One firefighter has been taken to a nearby hospital for non-life threatening injuries. There are no civilian injuries.

The Red Cross and UNO staff are providing students with counseling services if they need.

Wednesday night, fire crews remained on scene. Reed says Thursday morning engineers will visit the site to see if it's safe enough for students to come in and get any belongings.