Unattended grill causes house fire

Unattended grill causes house fire

By Rikki Mitchell. CREATED Oct 9, 2013

TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - A house caught fire Wednesday after wind spread flames from an unattended grill.

Capt. Barrett Baker with Tucson Fire tells KGUN9 that the fire happened in the 800 block of West Budmoore Terrace, near Oracle and Grant.

Five people lived in the home, but were able to get out safely.

Baker says one of the adults was using the grill outside earlier in the afternoon and thought the wood had been extinguished.

A few hours later, a woman in the home heard smoke alarms going off and found the fire outside.

It took eight units and 21 firefighters to get the fire under control in nine minutes after arriving.

There were no injuries to firefighters or the family who lived in the home.

The family which consists of two adults, an 8-year-old girl, a 1-year-old boy and a 4-month-old baby will be staying with relatives, and the family denied assistance from the Red Cross.

There is no estimate yet on damages.

Rikki Mitchell

Rikki Mitchell

Email Facebook Twitter
Rikki Mitchell is a proud University of Arizona grad and joined the KGUN9 team after graduation. Rikki reports for the evening newscasts.