Another murder plot? Reports detail trio's plans before elderly couple found dead

  • Play

Video by

Another murder plot? Reports detail trio's plans before elderly couple found dead

By Marcelino Benito. CREATED Sep 23, 2013

TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) -Disturbing new information about the final moments of Mary and Erskin Fulgham's lives. They are the older Tucson couple murdered by a trio of accused killers-- including the couple's own grandson.

Kyle Drattlo, Christopher Terry and Brianna Harding told police they planned to "murk" a couple on Mt. Lemmon. Murk means murder, but as fate would have it, they'd change their minds and head back into town.

Mary and Erskin Fulgham were starting their day. At 12:30 p.m., their neighbors give them a ride to a local mechanic to pick up their car, a white Buick sedan, the same car the suspects would later flee in.

While the Fulgham's were picking up their car, their grandson arrived here at the family home with two others. They made their way inside the house and police say less than three hours later, they'd leave as killers.

At 1:12, Mary goes to a nearby grocery store. She walks inside and picks up a $200 her son had sent her through Western Union. At 1:39, the couple returned home. The trio was inside.

At around 2:30, Meals on Wheels made their usual delivery. Erskin met the man outside. The delivery man calls that "unusual." But at this point, the Fulgham's were still alive.

At 2:43, surveillance images show the couple at Dunkin Donuts around the corner from their home. Half an hour later at 3:15 the couple returned home for the last time. At 3:34, the suspects are spotted driving away in the couple's Buick. No sign of Mary. No sign of Erskin.

Then at around 4, another grandson arrived to check on his grandparents. Inside the house he found a ghastly scene. There was blood all over. His grandparents had been stabbed repeatedly. Erskin had been beaten and stomped. Mary's purse was strewn about at her feet.

By 4:08, TPD had arrived on scene. The investigation and a manhunt had begun. It ended hours and hundreds of miles later in Tonopah, Nevada. The trio is now in Tucson awaiting justice.

All three suspects have pleaded not guilty. Meanwhile the County Attorney's office is busy deciding whether to pursue the death penalty. Factors they'll consider include whether the victim's suffered and the age of the victims. That decision expected later next month.

All three suspects are due back in court on December 20th.