By Justin Schecker. CREATED Jan 29, 2014
TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - In the three weeks since the speed cameras turned off, data collected by Pima County officials shows the sensors have tracked drivers speeding at staggering rates.
While the cameras are not flashing anymore, another set of lights could catch you in the act as Pima County Sheriff's deputies are stepping up targeted speed enforcement.
More than five times as many cars have gone 11 mph or more at the camera locations in the first 18 days since they went dark on Jan. 7.
From Jan. 7 to Jan. 25 2013, 1,769 cars triggered the cameras. During those days this year, sensors have tracked 9,343 speeding cars.
9 On Your Side tagged along with Deputy Brett Bernstein as he flashed his radar gun looking for speeding cars headed northbound near Nogales Highway and Hermans Road.
At this location, there has been about a 16-hundred percent increase in speeders (95 in 2013; 1,579 in 2014).
The posted speed limit along this stretch of Nogales Highway is 45 mph.
Less than 15 minutes into the enforcement, Deputy Bernstein pulled away to go after a Ford Expedition radar caught going 56 mph.
The second car Bernstein pulled over was caught going 14 miles over the speed limit.
During the hour and a half ride a long, Bernstein and another deputy pulled over 5 speeding driving drivers.
Deputies say they will continue cracking down on speeding at all of the camera locations.
- Northbound and southbound N. La Cholla at W. Sunset Road
- Northbound and southbound S. Mission Road at W. Nebraska Street
- Eastbound and westbound E. Ina Road at N. Camino de Las Candelas
- Northbound and southbound N. Swan Road at E. Calle Barril
- Northbound and southbound Alvernon Way near Station Master Drive
- Eastbound and westbound Valencia Road near Camino De La Tierra
- Eastbound and westbound Valencia Road near Wilmot Road
- Eastbound and westbound River Road near Country Club Road
- Northbound and southbound Ruthrauff Road near Rillito Street
- Northbound and southbound Nogales Highway near Hermans Road