Knocked over candle cause of house fire

Image by Tucson Fire Department

Knocked over candle cause of house fire

By Ina Ronquillo. CREATED Mar 30, 2014

TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - One person has been displaced after a knocked over candle sparked a blaze.

Capt. Chris Jurvig with Tucson Police tells KGUN9 that multiple calls were received by 911 dispatchers reporting a house fire in the 4700 block of Bellevue Street.

Firefighters responded and found a single story home that had fire coming out of several front windows.

One occupant was home at the time of the fire, said Jurvig.  He self-evacuated from the home when the fire started.

The adult occupant stated an oil candle was knocked over onto a mattress and the fire grew rapidly.

No injuries were reported during the blaze.

The cause of the fire has been ruled accident, after a candle was knocked onto a mattress.

The damage to the home is estimated at $50,000.

Ina Ronquillo

Ina Ronquillo

Email Twitter
Ina received her Bachelor of Arts from the University of Arizona with a double major in Media Arts and Communication.