9 indicted in DEA investigation of Tucson pain clinic
TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - The owners and employees of a Tucson pain clinic were indicted earlier this month after an investigation by the DEA.
Special Agent Ramona Sanchez with the DEA tells KGUN9 that nine people were indicted on September 16 by a Grand Jury in Pima County Superior Court.
The nine people are all either owners or employees of "Embrace Healthy and Pain Management Clinic."
- Elizabeth D. Capotosti, Owner and Nurse Practitioner
- Kathleen A. Karaszewski, Nurse Practitioner
- Alyssa Asch-McElmurry, Owner
- Kim D. Gonzalez, Office Manager
- Jorge Gonzalez, Security Guard
- Joseph Epperson, Staff Member
- Albaluz Portugal, Staff Member
- Santos M. Guillen Jr., Staff Member
- Adam A. Rosales, Staff Member
All suspects are at the Pima County Jail. Sanchez says the charges arise from a 21-month investigation against two of the nurse practitioners, who Sanchez says issued multiple prescriptions of powerful and addictive controlled substances, primarily Oxycodone.
A total of 15 felony counts were filed against the nine employees.
Capotosti and Karazewski issued multiple prescriptions with little or no physical exams, says Sanchez.
The drugs were re-sold to known street dealers for further distribution.
If anyone has information about the unlawful distribution of prescription drugs, contact the DEA Tactical Diversion Squad at 520-573-5500.