TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - Despite warming temperatures, firefighters continue to battle fires caused by space heaters.
Firefighters responded to a burning travel trailer in the 6,000 block of south 1st Avenue just before 7:30 a.m. Saturday, according to Capt. Barrett Baker with the Tucson Fire Department.
Baker tells KGUN9 that the occupant of the trailer was able to escape without injury before crews arrived on scene.
Fire investigators determined that the fire started as a result of an electrical issue stemming from a space heater that was plugged into an extension cord, Baker said.
The fire cause approximately $10,000 in damage, but no firefighters were injured and assistance from Red Cross is not needed, according to Baker.
Baker wishes to remind homeowners that space heaters, whether portable or stationary, account for one-third of home fires and 80 percent of home fire deaths.
Baker recommends storing combustible items at least three feet away from space heaters and to never use an extension cord to power a space heater.