Incense stick causes fire in midtown guest house

Incense stick causes fire in midtown guest house

CREATED Nov 7, 2012 - UPDATED: Nov 7, 2012

Web Producer: Rikki Mitchell

TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - Firefighters responded to a home where the guest house in the back was on fire Wednesday night.

Capt. Barrett Baker with Tucson Fire tells KGUN9 that the fire, in the 5300 block of east Willard Street, was caused by an unattended incense stick. 

The person staying in the guest house left home while the incense stick was still burning in the corner.

The owner of the house came home and saw heavy smoke coming from the guest house.

It took ten units and 24 firefighters to bring the fire under control in eight minutes.

There were no injuries to residents or firefighters but several animals died in the fire, including one cat, one rabbit and several mice.

One cat is still missing, and one cat was taken to a veterinary hospital by the owner.

Damages are estimated at $40,000.

The Tucson Fire Department would like to remind everyone to never leave burning incense unattended, and to put it out before leaving the house.