Firefighters battled heavy flames in an early morning apartment fire

Firefighters battled heavy flames in an early morning apartment fire

CREATED Aug 26, 2012

Web Producer: Taylor Avey

TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - A woman suffered great losses after flames erupted in her apartment.

Tucson firefighters responded to multiple calls about a fire in a two-story, fourplex housing structure in the 1900 block of Camino Serna just before 7:30 a.m. Sunday, according to Capt. Jeff Langejans with the Tucson Fire Department. 

While en route, firefighters learned that the woman who lived in the unit that had caught fire had escaped before re-entering to try and rescue her two dogs and two cats.

Once on scene, crews discovered that the fire was contained to a single unit but that the fire was blowing out of the whole west side of the multi-housing structure. 

Firefighters quickly got to work rescuing the woman after she became trapped on the second floor while trying to rescue her pets.  

The woman had to be rescued from a second-floor window.

She was brought down on a ladder and transported to a local hospital for smoke inhalation. 

The other units were evacuated by the time the entire structure was fully involved in what firefighters refer to as flashover, which happens when everything inside a structure gets heated to the ignition temperature and ignites from floor to ceiling. 

Unfortunately, the woman's pets perished in the fire.

She also lost all of her belongings and will be staying with a relative. 

The Southern Arizona Chapter of the Red Cross will provide services to the woman, including food, shelter, clothing and mental health support due to the loss of pets.