Back to school traffic enforcement deployments
Web Producer: Ina Ronquillo
TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - Tucson Police has started their annual back to school deployments.
Sgt. Maria Hawke tells KGUN9 the focused enforcement activity will continue throughout the month of August.
The deployments provide increased enforcement efforts for violations involving school crossings and school buses.
The purpose of the deployments is to provide awareness and education to both motorists and pedestrians as well as to increase safety during this critical time of the school year.
Police are asking for motorists to assist us then in making this a safe school year by remembering:
- Don’t drive distracted
- A solid red light means stop and remain stopped, while a flashing red is treated as a stop sign
- Obey the 15 mph speed limits in school zones
- Never pass while in a school zone
- Stop for pedestrians in the crosswalks and ensure it is clear before proceeding
- When school buses are stopped all traffic in both directions must stop unless there is a raised median