Smoke detector saves family from house fire

Smoke detector saves family from house fire

CREATED Apr 20, 2012

Web Producer: Ina Ronquillo

TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) -  A smoke detector helped save a family of four after a garage fire broke out in their home on Thursday.

Captain Adam Goldberg tells KGUN firefighters responded to the 2800 block of West Sandbrook Lane and found a fully involved garage.

A young mother and newborn where napping in the master bedroom, when the smoke detectors activated and she was able to escape with her 3-month-old, 18-month-old and 6-year-old.

There was extensive smoke damage and water damage inside, but most of the families’ important keepsakes were saved.

Firefighters faced a flash-over situation when the roof of the garage collapsed and six firefighters were able to escape from the front door without injury.

Fire Investigators have ruled the fire accidental as a result of a mechanical failure or electrical failure to the garage door opener. The damage is estimated around $75,000.

Firefighters were able to rescue 1 cat and a large dog from the house, but unfortunately a second cat was later found dead in the home.

Northwest Fire continues to remind all that smoke detectors save lives and to ensure that every household has at least one working smoke detector. Check your batteries and check the performance of your detectors often.