How to file a tax extension

Image by Journal Broadcast Group

How to file a tax extension

CREATED Apr 16, 2012

Web Producer: Stephani Ruiz

TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - This year, April 17 is your due date- at least when it comes to paying your taxes. But if you need more time, there's no need to panic.

The IRS will automatically grant anyone a six month extension, giving you until October to file your taxes. But you have to request your extension tomorrow at midnight.

It's actually pretty simple to do. Just log onto and search for Form 4868.

If you're less web friendly, you can do it the old fashioned way- complete and return a paper version to the address on the form.

But, as the saying goes, time is money. Especially when it comes to the IRS.

Remember, this is an extension of the time to file your return- not an extension of the time to pay.

If you suspect you owe, you need to send that amount in with your extension to avoid any interest, late fees or penalties. You can do that using your debit or credit card, or through e-file.