Modern streetcar construction starting Monday
Web Producer: Marissa Pasquet
TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - Contractors for Southwest Gas continue work in the downtown area to move/upgrade underground utility lines in preparation of the upcoming rail placement for the Tucson Modern Streetcar.
This phase of Southwest Gas work will occur in areas along Broadway and Congress between Fourth Avenue and Granada Avenue. Upcoming restrictions are as follows:
Eastbound Broadway, between Fifth and Sixth Avenues
During the week of March 5, the contractor will begin work along eastbound Broadway, between Fifth and Sixth Avenues. Work will take place over night between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. the following morning. This work is expected to be complete by March 23, 2012.
● One travel lane will be open at all times
● No construction related restriction on Sixth Ave.
● Arizona Ave., north of Broadway, will be closed
● Intermittent closures of Arizona Ave. south of Broadway
Fifth Ave. at Broadway
On March 5 and 6, the contractor will be working at the Broadway intersection in the northbound lanes of 5th Ave. Work will occur from 8 p.m. – 5 a.m. the following morning.
● Northbound Fifth Ave. through traffic will be detoured around the work area.
● Southbound Fifth Ave. motorist will not be affected.
● Turn movements from Southbound Fifth Ave. to eastbound Broadway will not be affected.
Broadway at Herbert Ave.
On Monday, March 5, from 9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. the contractor will be working on Broadway at the intersection of Herbert Ave.
● The right lane of Broadway at Herbert Ave. will be closed
● Herbert Ave will be closed at the south side of its intersection with Broadway
Information courtesy: City of Tucson