Weather Alerts 15 View »

Lawn mower blamed for Derby house fires

Lawn mower blamed for Derby house fires

By George Lawson. CREATED Apr 1, 2014

Derby fire chief Brad Smith said a lawn mower was the cause of a Monday afternoon fire that was spread by strong winds from one house to another.   The fire destroyed two homes in the 1500 block of East Cresthill, in a neighborhood southwest of the intersection of James and Rock Road.

Smith said a man was working on a lawn mower and spilled some gasoline.  The mower backfired, igniting the gasoline and starting a fire that quickly spread to the home and a neighboring home to the east. Smith said the man who was working on the mower had some minor burns.  

Both homes are considered to be a total loss, each one valued at around $150,000.