Woman killed at Burning Man from Jackson, Wyoming



Woman killed at Burning Man from Jackson, Wyoming

By Jessica Janner and Joyce Lupiani. CREATED Aug 28, 2014 - UPDATED: Aug 28, 2014

A woman was killed at the Burning Man festival early Thursday morning after she was run over by a large vehicle carrying festival goers, according to officials.

She has been identified as 29-year-old Alicia Louise Cipicchio of Jackson, Wyoming, according to KOLO-TV Channel 8 in Reno, Nevada. The woman's identity was released by the Pershing County Sheriff's Office.

The incident happened shortly after midnight, according to the Reno Gazette-Journal. It happened near the entrance of Center Camp.

Burning Man organizers are working with law enforcement investigators from the local sheriff's office and will provide more information as it becomes available.

"This is a terrible accident," said Burning Man co-founder Marian Goodell. "Our thoughts and prayers are with her family, friends and campmates. Black Rock Rangers and Emergency Services Department staff are providing support to those affected." 

PHOTOS: 2014 Burning Man

The annual week-long event is held in the handmade Black Rock City in Northern Nevada's Black Rock Desert. During the festival, attendees dedicate themselves to the spirit of community, art, self-expression and reliance. 70,000 people are expected to attend this year's festival. The festival ends with the traditional burning of a wooden effigy on Labor Day eve.

Private transportation is banned at Burning Man and the speed limit is 5mph inside of Black Rock City. It is not known if drugs or alcohol paid a part in the death.

According to ABC News/Associated Press, the last death at Burning Man was seven years ago. An attendee fell under a trailer at that time. Humbolt General Hospital's chief executive told USA Today that at least two other people have died at Burning Man since the hospital began providing medical response in 2011.

The festival, which began in 1986 with a gathering of 20 friends on Baker Beach in San Francisco, started a day late this year after being delayed by rain on Monday.