Space heater blamed in fatal fire
DURANT, Okla. (AP) - Authorities say a space heater was the likely cause of a house fire that killed two people in Durant.
Durant Fire Marshal Wade Boyd says the residents were asleep when the fire broke out early Wednesday. Two people escaped without injury but two others died in the blaze.
Police tell the Durant Daily Democrat that 18-year-old Troy Lee Coburn and 23-year-old Kathleen Marie Jolly were killed in the fire.
Boyd says a space heater was located within a foot of a bed and likely caught the bedding on fire. He says the victims were found near a back door of the home but were unable to escape.
Boyd says the home had no smoke detectors.
Copyright 2013, The Associated Press