Weather Alerts 7 View »

Charlotte County plans for deputy's memorial


Video by

Charlotte County plans for deputy's memorial

By Dave Culbreth. CREATED Aug 8, 2013 - UPDATED: Aug 9, 2013

PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. - People all over Southwest Florida and especially in Charlotte County are making plans to honor fallen officer Sgt. Mike Wilson. The Charlotte County sheriff's deputy who was shot and killed in the line of duty while responding to a domestic disturbance Monday night will be honored this weekend with a memorial that's expected to draw over 4,000 people.

Above Promenades Surgery Center the flashing neon sign read, "Rest in peace, Sergeant Wilson". The man who was a father and husband is being honored with flags flying at half staff all over Charlotte County, from Port Charlotte, including at the apartment complex where he was gunned down Monday night to Punta Gorda, the county has gone all out to honor him. The flag also flew at half staff at the Charlotte Harbor Event Center which was also lined in blue for a visitation Friday night and a memorial service Saturday morning.

Even people at the apartment complex where he was shot and killed, who didn't even know him have plans to honor him. "A number of us are going to go over to Punta Gorda tomorrow and pay our respects and I personally feel, that's the least anybody can do," said Lakes of Tuscana resident Bill Mohr. "I'm going to go out and try to see the procession there, the funeral going by. I feel bad for the family, for the widow, and the kids," added Joe DiGiovanni who also lives at the complex.

Thursday a new door was installed at the bottom of the stairwell where Sgt. Wilson died, and residents say the killer's family has moved out. All over Charlotte County, businesses that never close are shutting down for this, including Soundworx. "We generally only celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas around here as far as business is concerned," said Sean Scherer, the owner, who was a close friend of Sgt. Wilson's and who says he texted and talked with him an hour before he died. "But this is an occasion that we're not going to get a second chance at so we definitely want to go out and pay our respects to a very well respected man in our world."

Another worker at Soundworx agreed that he's already been missed. "Every morning we come in here and just stare out the front window and just wait for Wilson to come by and flash his lights and turn the horns's just not been the same without him," said Lynell Gomillia.