Hunter, a three-month-old Husky-mix puppy, was adopted from Petco's Michigan Humane Society and saved his new family from a gas leak in their home two weeks later.
CBS Detroit reports that adoptive pup mom, Jill McLarty, was awakened by Hunter crying in the middle of the night. MHS says in statement that “thinking that Hunter needed to go outside, Jill let him out -- she was surprised that Hunter simply sat outside and continued to whine.”
McLarty brought Hunter to bed where her husband was asleep. Hunter right sprang off the bed and began running in circles until McLarty finally followed him to the kitchen.
MHS describes that "when she turned the light on, she saw Hunter sitting next to the stove and noticed that one of the gas stove burners was on low, without a flame, causing gas to leak into the house," further reports CBS Detroit. The gas had leaked into the house for an estimated six hours.
In a MHS video dedicated to "Hunter the Hero," Jill's husband Tim says, "As cliche as it sounds, the life you save may save yours."
"He's the best dog, ever," chimes in Jill.
Hunter was the first dog that the McLartys ever adopted.