Update with Photo: Gas Leak Forced Closure of Marsh Road in Okemos
Marsh Road in Okemos has re-opened following a gas leak that shut a section of the road down for four hours.
The gas leak was located between between the Pilgrim House Furniture and Second Time Around shop. A strong smell of gas was detected shortly before 9 o'clock. The Pilgrim House and Second Time Around businesses were evacuated.
A Consumers Energy crew was able to locate the gas leak and stopped it at about 11:30am. Marsh Road between Hamilton Road and Grand River Avenue remained closed until about 1 o'clock, while Consumers dug up the area and managed the leak.
OKEMOS - Marsh Road between Hamilton Rd. and Grand River Ave. is closed in Okemos Wednesday morning due to a gas leak.
The notice came shortly after 9 o'clock in the morning.
Northbound traffic is being diverted at the Hamilton Road traffic circle. A Consumers Energy crew is digging into the ground between the Second Time Around shop and Pilgrim House Furniture.
Those buildings have been evacuated, though we are told that they are not the source of the gas leak.
A possible gas leak has closed a portion of Marsh Road in Okemos. The closure is between Grand River and Hamilton Road.
Service crews are on the scene assessing the threat.
You are urged to avoid the area.