Texas girl's cellphone catches fire under her pillow


Texas girl's cellphone catches fire under her pillow

By Joyce Lupiani. CREATED Jul 26, 2014

If you own a cellphone and like to sleep with it under your pillow, this is a story you might want to read.

A 13-year-old girl in North Texas was recently awakened in the middle of the night because of a smoldering cellphone underneath her pillow.

According to KDFW Fox 4, Ariel Tolfree owned a Samsung Galaxy S4. And, like most teenagers, she loved her phone.

Tolfree put the phone under her pillow before she went to sleep. She woke to the smell of something burning. At first, she didn't think much of it and went back to sleep. But when she woke up again, the smell was much stronger. That is when she discovered that her beloved cellphone had caught fire.

Her dad believes that being under the pillow caused the phone to overheat.

A representative fo  Samsung says their products are safe and pointed out that the battery inside of Tolfree's phone was not the original. Samsung also has a warning in its user guide that advises cellphone owners not to cover their phones with bedding or other material that could restrict airflow to the phone and cause a fire.

Tolfree and her dad did not read the warning.

Samsung has requested that the phone be sent to them for an investigation.

Joyce Lupiani

Joyce Lupiani

Email Twitter
Joyce Lupiani, who is based in Las Vegas at KTNV-TV Channel 13, is a contributor to NowTrending.com.